Saturday, February 21, 2009

Bipolar Spouse and the Kids Involved

A bipolar husband sometimes equals a bipolar dad.
Living with my bipolar husband is not easy- not for me. It is even worse for our daughter, at least I think so.
The anger, hate and frustration my husband feels during his episodes is all directed towards me, not our children. So my daughter doesn't have to deal with that, but when he is "off" she does not have her daddy.
I've said before, when he is well he is a wonderful father. But when he is having an episode, he just can't be counted on.
I think it's worse on the kids involved because they don't know what is going on. My daughter doesn't understand why her father is the way he is. I have explained it to her as best I can, but I know she doesn't really get it.
My daughter needs her daddy. Sometimes, his bipolar disorder keeps him from being a good dad.
It's important that when he is well he makes up for some of what he missed.

No comments: