Friday, May 1, 2009

The To Do List of the Spouse of a Bipolar

I've Been away. Not really away, but away from my computer. I am so overwhelmed right now I could just pull my hair out.
Have I mentioned before that I do everything? Probably. I'm sure there are some of you that know exactly how I feel. Everyday is a challenge to get everything done, my stuff plus all the extra stuff my bipolar husband should be doing. When you throw anything extra into the mix it's impossible to keep up.

My oldest daughter is a girl scout. I am her troop leader. In March we sold cookies for 3 weeks. We sell ALOT of cookies. It's all my troop does for those 3 weeks. I am also the cookie mom for my troop so I am responsible for every box of cookies and every dollar we bring in. We sold 6500 boxes this year. It was a long 3 weeks.
For these 3 weeks I hardly had time to sleep- much less anything else. This is not my first go round with cookies, but it is my first time trying to juggle everything involved with cookies sales and a new baby.

I really could have used some help with things. Think I got any? Nope!
I kept up with laundry and as much of the "little stuff" as I could, but needless to say everything piled up- even the laundry.
Of course right after cookie sales ended was my daughter's birthday and between me and the 2 kids we have had 7 DR appointments in the past month. Luckily- no one was sick, just routine checkups, eye DR, ect.. Thank Goodness! I might have truly lost my mind had any one of us actually been sick.

So here I am, April is over- and I am STILL playing catch up. I did finally get the laundry caught up, but that's it. The house is a mess, the flower beds are over grown, the pool is not clean, the ironing pile is running over- ohhh the list goes on and on.

No matter how much I do, my to do list just gets longer and longer. When it gets this bad, I get overwhelmed. I don't know where to start.
I really need MR Bipolar to step up and help. He could load the dish washer occasionally. Him cleaning the pool would be really nice- That won't happen! Heck- him helping to clean the pool would be nice. Right now- even that's a lot to ask of him. He's not well again. He's not as bad as he can get- but not normal either. Right now he is being very selfish- not thinking of anyone but himself. So, I don't expect any help from him anytime soon.
My husband takes 3 different meds. Sometimes, I think I need a mix of meds to help me cope!

3 comments:

Carol said...

Wow. I sure know how you feel. Big time. I could've written this post. Actually, probably my last month's worth of posts are directly related to this issue(s) and it is so much not fun.

My DH takes Lamictal, Seroquel, Depakote, and Lithium. And I think I"m the one who's going insane because I am trying to do everything. I'm both incomes of a two income family. My mom has Alzheimer's, my DD has special needs, and my DH is, well, you know....more helpless than both my mom and my DD.

I wish I had some advice. Sometimes I fantasize about paying someone to help (not DH). That makes me happy for a while....

Carol said...

Hi Sheena, me again....
Not sure if you've checked out my blog, but here's the url just in case...

http://bipolarhubby.blogspot.com

It seems like we (and our hubbies) have so much in common, just wanted to make sure you knew it was there!

Nerf-Herders Anonymous said...

This is every single day for me, without fail.

Mine works (got a job after 5 years of nothing) and any other waking moment is spent playing video games (he's 36)...he used to cook dinner and that was the one constant I could ever count on, now...very little.
The meds have only helped with the mood swings but they've never helped with ANYTHING else.
Husband actually takes his meds ritually but ignores every other bit of advice from all of his doctors...sooo...the meds are nearly worthless.

Bipolar has ruined any chance for a good life.